Project Description

Display of Saloni Selva-Lazzari (Room 5 and 6),
Gallerie dell’Accademia, Venice

Project
Museum display of Saloni Selva-Lazzari

Location
Gallerie dell’Accademia, Venice

Project Director
Francesco Trovò

Contractor
Erica Colombini
Costruzioni Generali Esserre
iGuzzini illuminazione
Spazioluce
Europavimenti
Gruppo Fallani

Funding
American Friends of The Louvre
Venetian Heritage

Start date
April 2018

End date
September 2021

Cost
€ 543.523,50

The monumental complex of the Gallerie dell’Accademia occupies the site of the Scuola Grande di Santa Maria della Carità, the former church of Santa Maria, and the monastery of the Lateran Canons, designed by Andrea Palladio. Established in 1807, following the model of the Louvre, the museum now houses the most important collection of Venetian art from the 14th to the 18th century. In 2015, Venetian Heritage began a fruitful collaboration with the Gallerie dell’Accademia, funding the permanent exhibition of the first four rooms on the ground floor of the museum’s new exhibition path. In continuity with this project, Venetian Heritage funded the continuation of the installation work in the Saloni Selva-Lazzari, which house a precious selection of 63 works, some of which have never been exhibited before or have never been seen in their current state, the result of restoration work carried out for the occasion. Among the masterpieces restored by Venetian Heritage are Tiepolo’s “il Castigo dei serpenti” a canvas over 13 meters long from the Venetian Church of Ss. Cosma and Damiano; the splendid “Deposizione di Cristo dalla Croce” by the Neapolitan artist Luca Giordano, exhibited for the first time in the permanent collection; the lively scene of “Erminia e Vafrino scoprono Tancredi ferito” by Gianantonio Guardi, the only canvas from a cycle inspired by Tasso’s Gerusalemme Liberata which returned to Italy after a complex collector’s journey. The two large rooms on the ground floor were conceived as follows: room 5 houses large-format works from the Venetian 17th century, mostly from churches and religious buildings in the city, including the monumental altarpieces by Luca Giordano, such as the splendid “Deposizione di Cristo dalla Croce”, and by Pietro da Cortona with the restored “Daniele nella fossa dei leoni”. Alongside these masterpieces, there are also important examples by Bernardo Strozzi, Nicolas Régnier, Sebastiano Mazzoni. Within the vast space, some thematic focuses have been identified, such as the one dedicated to the decoration of the Venetian church of the Ospedale degli Incurabili, which was destroyed in 1831. Room 6 provides an overview of the diverse Venetian painting production of the 18th century, with some thematic subsections. Opening the hall is Gianantonio Guardi’s lively scene “Erminia e Vafrino”, which is now presented to the public after careful restoration that has brought back the surprising quality and freshness of the painting. The long south wall of the room offers a review dedicated to Tiepolo, whose grandiose “Il Castigo dei serpenti” is on display, while two other sections are dedicated to landscape and interior painting with Pietro Longhi’s famous scenes. Among the various protagonists of this hall is the Venetian painter Giulia Lama with “Giuditta e Oloferne”. The new spaces, organized in this way, weave a true journey through the 17th and 18th centuries, restoring circularity to the ground floor exhibition path, serving as a link between the first section – Samsung & Venetian Heritage Wing – inaugurated in May 2015 (rooms 1-4) and the last one, opened in January 2016 (rooms 7-13).