Project Description

The Façade of the Church of San Zaccaria, 1480-1500
Church of San Zaccaria, Venice

Restoration of the façade

Church of San Zaccaria, Venice

Project director
Ministry of Culture, Monuments and
Fine Arts Office of Venice

G.R.C., Gruppo Restauro Conservativo, Venice

Stichting Nederlands Venetie Comité
Venetian Heritage

Start date
March 2005

End date
June 2007

207.900,00 €

Venetian Heritage, between 2005 and 2007, financed the restoration of the facade of the Church of San Zaccaria, one of the finest examples of the early Venetian Renaissance. This imposing church, commissioned by the doge Giustiniano Partecipazio and the emperor of Byzantium Leo V, in the ninth century, was modified between the tenth and eleventh centuries to be finally rebuilt in the fifteenth century. Antonio Gambello built the high stylobate (base) with its Gothic elements. Between 1480 and 1500, his successor, Mauro Codussi, erected the various parts above it: the row of small blind niches and the strong culminating arch against which the carved lateral buttresses are firmly set. In the central and side sections, separated by double columns, he set the windows in an alternating procession, rising to the central rose window; the whole is a balanced succession of masses and empty spaces. In the lower part, on either side, four later 15th century half-figures of prophets reside within frames ornamented with putti, a Renaissance motif. Above the portal to San Zaccaria is a fine 16th century marble statue inscribed by Alessandro Vittoria, the figure has lost its face. Cleaning and conservation were greatly needed. Work on the façade began in 2005. This was a joint project with the Dutch Committee for Venice.