Villa Pisani, the ’Versailles of the Veneto’, was built by the Pisani family in the early 18th century, to celebrate the election of Alvise Pisani as the 114th Doge of the Venetian Republic. The architecture could be described as neo-Palladian. In 1761 the Pisani commissioned Giambattista Tiepolo to paint The Apotheosis of the Pisani family, which decorates the splendid ballroom. Most of the rooms still have the original furniture and decorations. The villa is surrounded by a beautiful 18th century park with incredible pavilions, a big maze, ponds, orangeries and winter gardens. In 1807 the villa was acquired by the Emperor Napoleon; from then the villa followed the fate of the nation, belonging in turn to the Emperors of Austria and then to the Kings of Italy and then to the Italian state.
Venetian Heritage has financed the restoration and refurbishing of the dining room. The room had not been used since the early 20th century, and had been stripped of its original objects, which were held in the villa’s storerooms. After an inspection of the inventories, it was possible to trace and restore all of the original furnishings and fittings, such as the Antonibon porcelain from Nove, near Bassano, the lacquered cupboards, the chairs, the crystal, the Murano glass and the Neoclassical marble centrepiece. The walls, ceiling and Venetian flooring were all restored and new curtains similar to the original ones were added. Alarm systems and lighting were installed.