Project Description

The Façade
Church of  San Zaccaria, Venice

 

project
restoration of the façade

location
Church of San Zaccaria, Venice

project director
Ministry of Culture, Monuments and
Fine Arts Office of Venice

contractor
G.R.C., Gruppo Restauro Conservativo, Venice

funding
Stichting Nederlands Venetie Comité;
Venetian Heritage

start date
March 2005

end date
June 2007

cost
€ 207.900,00

The church of San Zaccaria was founded by Doge Giustiniano Partecipazio and the Byzantine Emperor Leo V (Leo the Armenian) in the 9th century. It was altered in the 10th and 11th centuries, and rebuilt in the 15th century.
The façade is one of the most remarkable examples of the earliest phase of the Venetian Renaissance. Antonio Gambello built the high stylobate (base) with its Gothic elements. Between 1480 and 1500, his successor, Mauro Codussi, erected the various parts above it: the row of small blind niches and the strong culminating arch against which the carved lateral buttresses are firmly set. In the central and side sections, separated by double columns, he set the windows in an alternating procession, rising to the central rose window; the whole is a balanced succession of masses and empty spaces. In the lower part, on either side, four later 15th century half-figures of prophets reside within frames ornamented with putti, a Renaissance motif. Above the portal to San Zaccaria is a fine 16th century marble statue inscribed by Alessandro Vittoria, the figure has lost its face. Cleaning and conservation were greatly needed. Work on the façade began in 2005. This was a joint project with the Dutch Committee for Venice.