Canova, Hayez Cicognara. L’ultima gloria di Venezia
curated by Fernando Mazzocca, Paola Marini, Roberto De Feo
The exhibition is part of the celebrations for the bicentenary of the opening of the museum of the Gallerie dell’Accademia, a major event in the artistic history of the city of Venice, occurring in a period of cultural revival that began in 1815 when the four horses of Saint Mark, the symbol of the city, were returned from Paris.
The leading figure in this revival of Venice’s artistic glory was undisputedly count Leopoldo Cicognara, the great intellectual and president of the Accademia di Belle Arti who, along with his friend the charismatic sculptor Antonio Canova and the painter Francesco Hayez, worked hard to create a museum of international stature, capable of promoting the extraordinary artistic heritage of Venice as well as contemporary artists.