The Museo delle Gallerie dell’Accademia occupies the old Scuola and former Church of Santa Maria della Carità and the monastery of the Canonici Lateranensi, designed by Andrea Palladio.
It was opened as a gallery space in 1807, and modelled on the Louvre. The museum hosts today the most important collection of Venetian art from the XIV to the XVIII century.
The display space in the museum has been doubled with the recent acquisition of the ground floor, occupied until a few years ago by the Accademia di Belle Arti. This important project was financed and directed by the Ministry of Culture and Tourism.
In 2014/2015 the partnership between Samsung and Venetian Heritage made possible the furnishing of four exhibition rooms and a the didactic room at the beginning of the itinerary in the new “Grandi Gallerie”. The rooms, situated on the ground floor, display extraordinary works of art, some of which had never been shown to the public due to lack of space.
Venetian Heritage is presently financing the furnishing of Room number 5 of the new museum itinerary. In this new room, completely dedicated to the masters of 18th century painting in Venice, we will exhibit paintings that up to now were kept in the magazines of the Gallerie dell’Accademia, including work by Bernardo Strozzi, Luca Giordano and others.