Venice, Church of Carmini, funeral monument of Foscarini
| Print |
- Funeral Monument of the Naval General Jacopo Foscarini
- Venice, Church of the Carmini
- Director of work
- Ministry of Culture, Monuments and Fine Arts Office of Venice
- Restoration Firm
- Sansovino s.n.c., Venice
- Work began
- may 2000
- Work ended
- october 2001
Funeral Monument of the Naval General Jacopo Foscarini, Church of the CarminiThis imposing funeral monument by an unknown author was erected in the beginning of the 17th century, according to the last wishes expressed in 1595 by the naval general Jacopo Foscarini. The monument was to be made of precious marbles, which Foscarini himself had collected, and its style follows the tradition for tombs of Venetian naval and military heroes, where the deceased in armor is shown standing. The major sculptures, which celebrate Foscarini's military virtues, are placed on the upper part of the monument. The effigy stands in the center on a high base and holds the baton symbolic of his office. On either side female personifications of Virtues, carved in the round, occupy niches, Charity on the left and Faith on the right. Below, within rectangular panels, are trophies of Foscarini's military career carved in Carrara marble. In the base of the monument, two representations of naval deployments evoke his military missions.
Before restoration, the entire monument was covered with a thick layer of black sediment, which made it impossible to discern the texture and color of the stone. This restoration project was dedicated to the memory of Mr. William Dow Lovett.